Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Solo Dinghy





I saw this Solo dinghy when I was rowing ‘Pike’ on the River Crouch at Hullbridge. I believe she was being sailed in a handicap race, as she was with other dinghies heading for a particular buoy around which they turned before entering Fenn Creek.

Years ago when I was younger I would have loved to have raced a Solo, but I suppose there was time and money for sailing other boats; therefore I never got around to buying one. Now, I’m not agile enough or strong enough to sail a Solo safely………….. ‘Pike’ is enough to manage.

The Solo dinghy was designed by Jack Holt in 1956, and ever since she has been a popular choice for those who want to race single-handed. Thousands of them have been built, both by professional builders and amateurs alike. There are many clubs with Solo racing fleets in the UK, Holland and Australia.

I’ve heard of people who have modified their Mirror Dinghies for cruising, and I was astonished to discover that at least one Solo has been modified for that purpose.*


Links

National Solo Dinghy Association

Solo (Dinghy)

Scottish Solo

New Solo Dinghies

Solo Dinghy Sailing Video

Solo Dinghy Action in the Tipsy Series Video

Solo Dinghy description by Go-Sail

Solo Dinghy Reviews at Pre-Loved

Solo Dinghies for Sale at Apolloduck between £450 and £6,995

Fenn Creek

No comments: