Thursday, October 16, 2014

‘Constance’, a Badger Class Junk Yacht – Part 2





After being out of the water, presumably for a scrub, ‘Constance’ is back in the Yacht Basin of the Walton and Frinton Yacht Club. I couldn’t resist taking photos of her. Although larger than yachts I have owned, she is the sort of blue water cruising yacht I would have dreamed about when younger. She is the stuff dreams are made of and having recently read ‘Deep Water and Shoal’ by William Albert Robinson, I was reminded of my own unfulfilled dream to sail around the world. That dream has long faded, but it could become a reality for anyone able to acquire a yacht like ‘Constance’. There she is within the Basin at the Yacht Club. What is her destiny?

Links

‘Constance’, a Badger Class Junk Yacht


Badger Class Yacht


‘Badger’


Deep Water and Shoal by William Albert Robinson


Walton and Frinton Yacht Club

2 comments:

Brian said...

Hi Bill, thought you might enjoy looking over this 28' yacht design. Popular in South America with 40 built and 150 in build. Reminds me of an updated Contessa 28.
http://www.yachtdesign.com.br/ingles/projetos/mc28/desc28-2.php
Brian

William Serjeant said...

Brian,
Thanks for the link to the MC 28. She has a lot going for her on such a short LOA. There's no mention of how she fares in a gale. For long distance cruising I would prefer a junk rig. I would also prefer twin keels for beaching and for carrying out maintenance below the waterline. 'Badger' is larger and more expensive to maintain.
Cheers,
Bill.