Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Cost of Building a Paradox


 
'Faith'

 
'Minnow'

 
'Minnow's' Trailer

In 2007 I added a page to my Small Sailboats website detailing the cost of building ‘Faith’, my first Paradox. Since then costs have wildly escalated, especially epoxy resin and products associated with it such as plywood. I have reproduced the content of the article below.

Let it be know to anyone contemplating building a Paradox, it will more than likely take  around 18 months of evening and weekend labour involving 1,000 to 1,500 contact hours.

When building my Paradox I used only the best materials, including high quality plywood and bronze fittings for the rudder. The table below does not account for hidden or incidental costs such as those incurred by using the car for frequent visits to suppliers of materials, for telephone calls and for correspondence.

Item
UK £
Timber
996.92
Plywood
400.00
Epoxy, Hardener, Filleting and Fairing Blend
575.97
Chandlery, Paint and Rope
738.70
Woven Roving (Fibreglass cloth)
105.45
Nails and Bronze Fittings
285.49
Polycarbonate
123.83
Anchors and Chain
024.99
Nuts and Bolts
029.80
Sail (Second-hand including import duty from US)
188.35
Lead
070.00
Other Items, including Depth Sounder (Second-hand)
270.88
Boat Total
3810.38
Other Costs
Tools and Clamps
099.56
Road Trailer (Second-hand) and Lock
528.99
Tow Ball and fitting to car
176.25
Total
804.80
GRAND TOTAL
4615.18

 ‘Minnow’ for Sale

At most, I am asking £2,900 in exchange for ‘Minnow’, inclusive of her virtually brand new trailer costing £1,090, and goodies such as an Autohelm 800, 2 GPS units, a Honda 2 HP four stroke outboard, 2 anchors, a gimbal cooker, 3 fenders, charts etc., making her ready for immediate use. This is an absolute bargain!!

Now is your chance to have her. Contact me by phoning 0788288060 or email barnacleid at yahoo dot co dot uk.

She is advertised for sale at ebay.co.uk – item number 161437876632.

 Also see these pages:

Open to Offers for ‘Minnow’, My Paradox Sailboat


Open to Offers for ‘Minnow’, My Paradox Sailboat – Part 2


Open to Offers for ‘Minnow’, My Paradox Sailboat – Part 3


‘Minnow’ Advertised for Sale on Ebay


‘Minnow’ Advertised for Sale on Ebay - Inventory

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Bill, if Matt Layden ever became a global corporation, I'm sure that he'd hire you as the chief sales executive.
Honestly, I think you could have sold 'Minnow' to me half a dozen times over, and I'm casting round trying to raise the financial steam to buy her once!

William Serjeant said...

Well, Richard,

There are 5 people in correspondence regarding 'Minnow' and you are the closest. I said I wasn't interested in selling outside the UK, but there's one who lives in France and another in Germany. The others live in the UK.

Remember that there are 3 options: i) the full package, or ii) the full package without the trailer, or iii) without the trailer, engine, Autohelm, GPSs etc.

Whatever package is taken, the new owner will have a bargain.

Cheers,
Bill.