Thursday, June 19, 2014

Merits of a Paradox






Brian made a recent comment suggesting I should do an article about why I was attracted to Matt Layden’s Paradox, and would I explain, ‘why not having a keel really does work’.

I have already written a few articles* describing the remarkable features of Matt’s unique micro-sailboat. I suppose the most original feature of this shoal draft, 13’ 10” boat is her chine runners. These triangular section protuberances, integral with the chines, improve the lateral resistance of the boat when she is heeled while on the wind. A vortex is created as the boat moves forward, and at the same time, the natural sine wave is prevented from forming - instead, it is replaced by a series of smaller waves through which the boat can move more easily on account of there being less resistance – that’s my theory.

All I can say is that chine runners work on Paradox. I guess they might be OK on other sharpie hulls, particularly ones with a similar profile to Paradox having a pronounced rocker fore and aft. For them to be most effective, the boat should be heeled at about 14 degrees, and she should be suitably ballasted so as to have the windward chine just breaking the surface of the water. At that angle of heel the transom, apart from a smidgen, is clear of the water.

I also believe the chine runners help reduce rolling when the boat is on the run and at anchor.

Well, Brian, I hope this is helpful.

Links

*Appraisal of ‘Faith’ My Paradox Sailboat


*Why Build a Paradox?


*Paradox ‘Enuf’, now ‘Minnow’


*Paradox



Al’s article about our first failed attempt to reach the Scilly Isles

http://www.little.jim.freeuk.com/little_jim/trip5.htm

1 comment:

Brian said...

Thanks Bill. There really should be more Paradox built, especially for your east coast and my south coast shallow drying harbours.