Thursday, February 20, 2014

'Minnow's' Vent Box and Innards



The inside of ‘Minnow’s’ vent box is not a pretty sight. Fortunately, it is not seen, and as long it works, that’s what matters.

With great difficulty I succeeded in attaching two blocks to the forward face of the interior of the vent box. Originally I intended putting them side by side, but on inspection, I deduced there would not be enough room for the mast to pass by when inserting it into the vent box. Perhaps there would just be enough room for a double block.

Meanwhile, I have joined two blocks at their beckets. The forward one is for the furling line, and the aft one is for the topping lift. I could manage without a topping lift block by feeding the topping lift through the becket of the furling block. As far as I can see, that’s how the previous owner did it.

The main difference now is that instead of the blocks being held in place by two small screws, they are more securely attached to the bulkhead by two stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts.

No comments: