Saturday, November 23, 2013

A little more done on 'Minnow'

I am  away for the weekend, but I managed to put a second coat of varnish on the Autohelm supports before leaving. I also packed away tools and disposed of rubbish that had accumulated in the boat when making and fitting the Autohelm supports.

The Autohelm mounting socket arrived in the post this morning; therefore I shall be able to fit it into the forward support, perhaps on Monday or Tuesday.

A job I must do is to attach the outboard bracket.



3 comments:

Steve Carey said...

What varnish is it that you are using Bill? I did a shelf the other day and left it out in my workshop and the following day it was still very sticky. Seems to take 2-3 days before it can really be handled or overnight indoors!

Steve

William Serjeant said...

Steve,

Ronseal Yacht Varnish (Satin)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronseal-YVS1L-Exterior-Yacht-Varnish/dp/B001GU8A4G/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1380740172&sr=8-14&keywords=varnish+for+wood

This time of year when it is cold and damp, the drying time is longer, but the above has been drying overnight - even when left in the garage.

Cheers,
Bill.

Steve Carey said...

I was going to tell you that I use Ronseal but thought you'd tell me off for not using International Yacht Varnish. I have always found Ronseal to be fast drying in the warmer months but when I did the shelf the other day, it was 98% humidity and only 4-6ÂșC all day and night. However, that said, I do find the gloss more durable outside.

Steve
Good stuff . . . keep going!