Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Roger D. Taylor – Voyages of a Simple Sailor


 
Kindle version
 
On 3rd February, 2013 I wrote an article about Roger Taylor’s, ‘Mingming’. I included three links to Amazon.co.uk giving details of three of his books. What I didn’t mention was that they are also available for Kindles. If you don’t have a Kindle, you can download a Kindle App free of charge from Amazon, suitable for your computer or your iPhone or an equivalent smartphone.

Last week I handled a paperback version of Roger’s ‘Voyages of a Simple Sailor’ and immediately I wanted my own. Being a cheapskate I looked at Amazon where I discovered I could get it for less in e-book format for my Kindle - not a lot less I grant you, but it was immediately available for my own gratification.

Now that I have read the Kindle version I wished I had paid the extra for the paperback! Handling a book is so much better than simply seeing words on a computer screen. If you buy your own copy you’ll be getting three books in one, because it is divided into three stories: Shipwreck, Capsize and Calms. I won’t spoil it by making a précis of each story, but if you are into sailing and cruising I thoroughly recommend you treat yourself to a good read.

Here’s a link to Amazon’s readers’ Reviews of the book:   http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0955803500/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Most reviewers gave the book five out of five! Hence, you can be guaranteed you won’t be disappointed.

I was hooked from the moment I started reading the Preface. Having experienced sailing small junk-rigged boats I could readily understand Roger’s enthusiasm for ‘Mingming’.

The Book

ROGER D. TAYLOR VOYAGES OF A SIMPLE SAILOR

ISBN 978-0-9558035-0-5

The FitzRoy Press 2008,

5 Regent Gate Waltham Cross,

Herts.

EN8 7AF  

Links

The Simple Sailor


Galleries for Voyages of a Simple Sailor


*’Mingming’ – Roger Taylor’s Junk Rig Corribee

No comments: