Saturday, March 23, 2013

My Friend’s Alacrity

 

According to my dictionary, alacrity is a cheerful readiness, promptness or willingness, and that sums up the essential character of my friend’s boat which is a 19’ Alacrity. I met her for the first time last Monday when he proudly introduced her me. She was snugly settled in the mud by Walton Yacht Club, tethered to four mooring lines. As I looked at her she reminded me of a faithful cocker spaniel waiting for her owner to take her for an adventure.

Essentially, she’s a day sailer, come small coastal cruiser for a crew of two. She actually has three berths, but I feel she would be crowded when cruising with a complement of three. Nice touches are her furling headsail, slab reefing main, twin backstays and mast tabernacle. She has two Tufnell winches mounted on the coamings for working the foresail. She has the security of a pulpit and sensible anchor stowage on the foredeck for easy deployment. Two cabin top ventilators provide fresh air for the crew when they are down below. A twin butane stove mounted almost amidships on the port side is handy for cooking and for making hot drinks.

I’ve been invited for a sail on the Alacrity, and no doubt when I get back from my forthcoming cruise with ‘Sandpiper’, my ‘C’ Type West Wight Potter, I’ll be able to sample the delights of my friend’s boat.

Links

Alacrity 19



Hurley Owners’ Association – Alacrity Gallery


Ped’s Outdoor Diary

1 comment:

Bursledon Blogger said...

The alacrity is one of the better boats from that period, small by modern standards especially down below, but to my eye the lines haven't dated as some more stylised boats and as you say makes a great low cost day sailer occasional weekender for one or two.