Saturday, June 23, 2012

Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren



Weather dominates the life of a sailor. Yesterday my daughter was one of a crew delivering a yacht from Brightlingsea to Pin Mill. I would not have fancied taking her place, because the wind was hovering around a Force 7 blowing against the flood running down the Wallet. She described the conditions as very lively, and their trip was not without incident – a smack boat capsized and the yacht being delivered sustained a damaged bowsprit. For sure, the conditions were too rough for a little sailboat like ‘Sandpiper’, and I was glad I was not sailing her at the time.


Today, the wind moderated, and maybe ‘Sandpiper’ could have coped on the sheltered River Crouch. Instead of being tempted to launch her there and give her a go, I stayed at home to be with my grandchildren and great grandchildren. They spent the day with my wife and me so that their parents could have a break. The tiny tots were a lively bunch – all boys and noisy too, but they played well together. They had plenty of toys to fire their imagination and bags of space for running around. Hide-and-seek was the most popular game, followed by football, a close second.

Together we had a great day, and I delighted in seeing them so happy, healthy and ‘normal’. We all came out of it unscathed. The children fell asleep the moment their heads touched their pillows.

Tomorrow will be another adventure for both young and old.

2 comments:

Shipwreck Thom said...

Hello,

I have been reading your blog for quite some time now. I just wanted to get round to saying how much I enjoy it and it's an inspiration to how many posts you get out every month.
Certainly puts me to shame.
Really good stuff.
Thank you

William Serjeant said...

Thanks Thom.

Your blog majors on quality and content. I’ve been so taken with it, that for the past couple of hours I’ve not been able to tear myself away to do the things I planned to do. I was particularly riveted by your firsthand account of Enza’s capsize.

Life is never the same after such an experience.

Ships Blog According to Thom
http://deckheads.blogspot.co.uk/

Best wishes,
Bill.