Sunday, December 18, 2011

Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic






I know very little about motorcycles, but a name that comes to mind is Harley Davidson. I had a ride on the pillion seat of my father-in-law’s classic Harley Davidson and I remember being impressed with the awesome power of the machine. In those days, riders were not required to wear helmets, and at the time of my ride, I was a little fearful of coming off the bike. Not being in control added to my churning stomach as the bike leaped over bumps and crevices of an uneven road leading to a dusty cul-de-sac where the stallion skidded to a halt. The return ride was no less frightening, and I was glad to alight from the saddle, once again to be a master of my own destiny.



Before that time, when I was doing National Service, I convinced myself I should learn to ride a motorbike. To that end I borrowed one of the standard bikes used by riders who accompanied road convoys. I think it was a BSA, but what model, I wouldn’t have had a clue. With some trepidation I sat astride the machine; kick-started it, opened the throttle and eased away in first gear. Changing into second gear with my foot completely defeated me. I looked down to see the lever, and before I knew it, I was in the ditch beside the road, flung clear of the machine while it lay on its side with the engine roaring.


Grateful not to be injured and for the bike not having sustained any damage, I walked it back to where I had found it. No other person had seen the incident, and this is the first time I’ve told the tale.



Well, I was out walking the other day when I came across this Harley Davidson which brought back memories of my early encounters with motorbikes. Despite them being negative and unfortunate, I was attracted to the chromium-plated piece of engineering, or work of art - however you may look upon such things. From watching a programme on TV, I know of one person who has mounted such a machine on the wall of the lounge of his house, because he considers it to be a work of art, and because it gives him great pleasure to look at. What a talking point it must be too for friends and visitors to his home.


From the insignia on the front of the mudguard, the bike would appear to be a Heritage Softail Classic. You are talking in the region of £17,000 for a new one and £8,500 or more for a second-hand Softail.


Text for the Day

Psalm 91:11 ‘For He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways.’



Links


Harley Davidson UK

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_GB/Content/Pages/home.html?locale=en_GB&bmLocale=en_GB

Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_GB/Motorcycles/heritage-softail-classic.html


Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic for Sale £8,450

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Harley-Davidson/SOFTAIL/2003/_/R-NXGN-7569718

No comments: