Thursday, November 10, 2011

Special Places

Battlesbridge

For the past three days the subject of my articles has been my Sony 7.2 Mega Pixels camera. Yesterday I spoke of photos taken with the camera and I illustrated my words with four photographs of creatures: tropical fish in a tank, a dragonfly perched on a bush, swans by the riverside and a Painted Lady butterfly.

Burnham-on-Crouch

The subject of my final article is ‘Special Places’.


The significance of places in the lives of individuals may only be appreciated by the people themselves, but there are places that have significance for many people. One such place is the Cenotaph, a war memorial in Whitehall, London, where those who were killed in the service of their Country are remembered annually on the 11th November.

Heybridge

Each one of us may have special places we like to visit, and places we remember because of experiences associated with them. My roots are in the town where I was born, and the place I like to remember most is where I spent my youth. Therefore a very important place for me is the house where I lived with my parents until I left home at the age of twenty one. The area has changed because of building development, but the house itself remains as it was.

Thorpe Bay

There are other places of significance to me, such as South Fambridge, which is very special, mainly because I have frequently sailed the River Crouch along that stretch of water, and because my favourite walk is beside the river at that spot.*For me it’s a never ending fascinating location. The natural phenomena of light, colour, wind, sounds, moving water, clouds, birds, and insects - they forever change and bring me delight.


Because I am attracted to the waterside where I can enjoy looking at boats, several of the places I frequent are beside the water. This is reflected in my selection of photos. (I’ve not included one of South Fambridge, because I have already posted three or four to previous blogs – See links below.)



Text for the Day

Psalm 84:1, 2 ‘How lovely is your tabernacle, O Lord of Hosts! My soul longs, yes, even faints for the courts of the LORD; My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.’



Links


Cenotaph

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/cenotaph.htm


*Beside the Crouch at South Fambridge

http://bills-log.blogspot.com/2011/10/beside-crouch-at-south-fambridge.html


Delights beside Tidal Waters

http://bills-log.blogspot.com/2011/10/delights-beside-tidal-waters.html


Afternoon Stroll by the Crouch

http://bills-log.blogspot.com/2011/09/afternoon-stroll-by-crouch.html

No comments: