Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Total Distraction

Searching for dinosaurs

If you have a hectic life or if you have problems you may be able to arrange an escape for a short while and thus be totally distracted. Such distractions can be a blessing for the hard-pressed person so that he can recuperate, regain strength and return to his situation with renewed enthusiasm and energy.


Sometimes a person may not plan an escape, but it is thrust upon him through circumstances, and he mercifully finds himself on a desert island where unfamiliar surroundings and a need for survival demand new activities that make him totally forget his past traumas.


Helicopter rescue

I can’t say I’m living a traumatic life, nor can I plead that I need an escape from boatbuilding, but I must say I’ve had a very pleasant day of distractions in different surroundings. Instead of being in the shadows of the garage with the smell of sawdust and the pong of epoxy, I found myself in the open air at a Southend Park with my wife and young grandchildren. The youngsters had a glorious day of thrilling adventures – for them many things are yet new. They fantasized while clambering in and out of a metal framed helicopter. Victims of nature’s catastrophes needed rescuing and I was amazed at their efforts to save those who were injured. Pilots guided their machine while watching rotors when landing to make sure they were not entangled in debris.


Other fascinating activities took place in the play park. They loved the swaying trees with their blossoms blown by the wind and the dappled sunlight on the freshly cut lawns. They were intrigued by white uniformed persons rolling black balls on green grass carpets and learnt the word ‘bowls’. A Jenny Wren made its high-pitched song heard above the murmurings of passing traffic. We visited the cafĂ©, ate crisps and satisfied our thirst; the boys drank from their rocket dispensers and we sipped tasty coffee.


Then it was the library where we were lost in a dream world of monsters, fairies, rabbits, toads, counting and the alphabet, but their favourite was the Wendy House where they played postmen, posting books through the letter box. Then they sold ice cream via the window. I preferred raspberry, but my wife liked vanilla.


After lunch at M & S we visited the beach for stone throwing, skimming, shell searching and for special stones in the shape of animals’ heads; we found a dinosaur, a cat, a dog and a rabbit.

Balloons


Back at home they played with balloons, wrestled, ate their dinner and watched a film on TV.


Having been totally distracted from any routine, my wife and I arrived home knowing it had been a good day. She had more business to attend to; whereas I could relax and reflect while writing this Blog.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Wonderful post Bill. All these joys ahead of me, my first granddaughter being just 8 weeks old. Brian

William Serjeant said...

Yes, Brian, These boys have brought us and their parents a lot of joy.

Bill.