Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Building ‘Sharpy’ Part 97

Sail and spars

Sail again

This afternoon I took the opportunity for collecting ‘Sharpy’s’ sail from Wilkinson Sails at Burnham-on-Crouch. Back at home I laid it on the lawn and placed the spars approximately where they should be attached to the sail. My first impression was that it was smaller than I imagined it would be. The boom and yard seemed too long. Perhaps I fashioned them longer than shown on the plans as a safeguard? It was such a long time ago that I made them I can’t remember if I did. I shall have to check the measurements I gave Mick. I’m hoping I let him have the ones for the larger, revised sail. If not, I’m stuck with what I’ve got. I must say the standard of Mick’s workmanship is excellent.

Upper coat, bow

Upper coat, amidships

I didn’t spend more time checking the sail because I wanted to paint the interior of the hull with an upper coat, which I managed to complete shortly before sunset. Unless I keep working each day at the boat, it will go on for ever. Painting the undersides of the deck panels is my next priority. When that has been done, I’ll be able to fix them to the hull.

2 comments:

Pete said...

I too was sorting out sails today.
Luckily they all seemed to fit the spars very nicely

http://youtu.be/RG7zX2i4hss

Pete

William Serjeant said...

Thanks for the brilliant YouTube video. 'Johanna' is a lovely boat.

Cheers,
Bill.