Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Building ‘Sharpy’ Part 42



Momentum is very important when building a boat. Progress in action encourages the builder, but if you are an amateur boatbuilder you are unlikely to be at the job full-time – such full-timers can more easily generate momentum. I have a gut feeling that most amateur boatbuilders, enthusiasts like me can only turn their hand to their hobby when time presents itself. There are days, weeks and perhaps months when opportunities are far and few between for boatbuilding. That puts paid to momentum. Somehow, the odd hour has to be fitted in, so that the builder can see that the job is not dead, and that there could be light at the end of the tunnel.


Today, I managed to squeeze in a little more than an hour, and, amazingly I cut 18 more lead pieces for making the keel weights. Altogether I have 46 pieces, which means I’m more than halfway to finishing those I shall need.


The repetitive process of cutting these pieces of lead reminds that there are a lot of duplicative dull tasks in boat building; therefore the boatbuilder has to stick at things, be consistent, endeavour to keep high standards and be determined to see the job through. As progress is made, spirits are lifted, and in the end there will be joy and satisfaction.

No comments: