Thursday, February 10, 2011

Burnham and the River Crouch - Part 2

Map reproduced by kind permission of Ordnance Survey


Anchorages


Most seasons over the past 38 years I have sailed various boats on the River Crouch between Hullbridge and Burnham. During that time I have spent nights at anchor in different locations. For the next few postings I’ll be explaining where my favourite anchorages are.


The first one is just to the west of Fenn Creek in a pool which never dries out. It is not the easiest place for getting ashore, although at low water one can wade to the southern bank. I like the anchorage because it is normally a peaceful spot, but even if dinghies from local clubs race by, any disturbance is short-lived, and watching the activity is great fun. (Position on map - measure 7 mm to the west of Fenn Creek entrance

No comments: